In 1901, through the efforts of George E. Hinds and the members of the members of the library board, Andrew Carnegie became interested in Kent and he agreed to give $10,000 to erect a library building on condition that the town provide a site and agree to contribute 10% of the gift yearly for the library's maintenance. Marvin Kent donated the lot at the corner of Main and River Streets and the town voted by an overwhelming majority to make the necessary tax levy. Plans for the library were drawn by Charles Hopkinson of Cleveland, and in June, 1902, the contract for the building was awarded to A. C. Stambaugh.
The building was completed in the spring of 1903. At the request of the Board, Carnegie gave an additional $1,500 for the furnishings of the library. Nellie Dingley of Painesville was employed as librarian and Janet M. Green, library organizer for the state of Illinois, was engaged to organize and catalog the new library in a systematic manner.
On September 25, 1903, the doors of the library were opened to the public. From then on, it rapidly grew and prospered. In 1904, the plans and model of the building were sent to the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis, as a perfect model of a $10,000 building. [http://www.kentfree.lib.oh.us/page.cfm?id=5]
[LIB812] Click on the image to order a reproduction of this postcard!
The Forbes Library opened in 1894, as a result of a bequest by Judge Charles E. Forbes, who wished to build a public library for the citizens of Northampton. The massive three-story stone building, which is on the Register of Historic Buildings, was designed by William Brocklesby to be completely fire proof with all steel framing and stone, slate, and copper exterior. [http://www.forbeslibrary.org/about/about.shtml]
[LIB804] Click on the image to order a reproduction of this postcard!
Andrew Carnegie contributed $30,000 for the construction of the Jackson Free Public Library which opened on March 3, 1903. The original Free Public Library building has been fully restored and is available for events of all kinds. Now named the Carnegie Center for Arts and History, it is operated by the Jackson Recreation and Parks Department. Even though it is no longer used as a library, it is a significant part of library history. The Carnegie Center is located just two blocks west of the present library. A building designed by the late W.C. Harris has been the site of the library since September 15, 1968. [http://www.jmcl.tn.org/history.htm]
[LIB803] Click on the image to order a reproduction of this postcard!
In 1799, shortly after the Town of Farmington was incorporated (1794), a small group of residents organized a Social Library which circulated books until disbanding in 1856. There followed a few unsuccessful efforts at forming a library, and in 1890 the current Farmington Public Library Association was incorporated and is continuing to serve the community and the region.
In 2000 building renovations including a lobby addition was completed. The addition compliments the original building by its unique design and use of materials. Design and planning was done by Richard Burt of Richard Burt Architects.
It is worth noting the importance that Farmington residents place on maintaining their library. There have been only twenty years in the Town's history when residents have been without library services. [http://www.farmington.lib.me.us/]
[LIB802] Click on the image to order a reproduction of this postcard!
A museum occupies two floors in this building, where personal items from the lives of President and Mrs. Hayes are exhibited. There is also a research library from the Hayes period in American history, containing thousands of books and manuscripts. [From the back of the card]
In 1901 Andrew Carnegie donated $70,000 for the construction of a library building in the city of Jackson.
The Carnegie building became the main branch for the newly created district in 1978. In 1981, with a bequest from Mrs. Mable MinterVan Orman, a circular structure was built at the rear of the library. This added an elevator, history room, back lobby and a children's storytelling room.
The Carnegie building was designated a State Historical site in 1979 and a National Historical site in 1980. [http://www.myjdl.com/Carnegie]
[LIB788] Click on the image to order a reproduction of this postcard!
Three other collections were ultimately consolidated to form the Danville Public Library in 1883. After renting library space in three downtown locations over twenty years, the Board of Trustees applied to Andrew Carnegie, a philanthropist, for funds to build a home for the library. Carnegie granted the city $40,000 and construction began in 1903. [http://www.danville.lib.il.us/about.htm]
[LIB787] Click on the image to order a reproduction of this postcard!
[LIB771] The Fine Print Collection:
This extraordinary collection is made up of over 23,000 works in traditional as well as innovative media. There are strong holdings of prints by American artists, European graphics from "old masters" through the 20th century, Japanese prints and ehon (picture books) from 1780 to 2001, a basic history of photography, and many artists who worked in The Garden State. Prints by noted artists, such as John Sloan. Matisse, Picasso, Warhol, Lichtenstein, and Rauschenberg are included. [from the website]
The library was organized in 1885 as the Kokomo Free Library. In 1905, after building a new library largely funded by Andrew Carnegie, the library was renamed the Carnegie Public Library. From the beginning, the library was governed by the Kokomo School Board, who retained authority until January 1, 1964, when the first library board was appointed. In 1958 the library's name was changed to the Kokomo Public Library. The Carnegie building served until 1965 when construction of the present main library was begun. [http://www.kokomo.lib.in.us/information/aboutLibrary.html]
[MO713] Click on the image to order a reproduction of this postcard!