Monday, June 30, 2014

1920, F.F. Thompson Memorial Library, Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York



[LIB11100] Postmarked November 17 from Providence, Rhode Island. Addressed to G. E. Buxton, Jr. at Hope Hospital, Providence.

1907, Pratt Institute Free Library, Brooklyn, New York



[LIB11099] Addressed to Miss Edith Finch (the author?), Franklin, New York and postmarked from Brooklyn on October 30 at 9:30 p.m.

Pratt's Brooklyn Campus Library is located in the neighborhood of Clinton Hill, in a handsome 1896 landmark building with interiors by the Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company. Collections and services are focused on the visual arts, architecture, design, creative writing, and allied fields. Additional materials of general interest support the general education curriculum.

The library houses more than 200,000 volumes of print materials, including 600+ periodicals, rare books, and the college archives.

1913, Carnegie Library, Eureka, California



[LIB11098] - The Carnegie Free Library in Eureka, California was built in Classical Revival Style in 1902. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, and currently houses the Morris Graves Museum of Art.

1913, Public Library, Trenton, New Jersey



[LIB11097] Published by Stoll Blank Book & Stationary Co., Trenton, N.J. Postmarked September 18 at 5:00 p.m. Addressed to Miss Mildred Wood, Meriden, Connecticut.

1915 Vintage Trenton New Jersey Posters
1915 Vintage Trenton New Jersey Posters by historicimage
See other Trenton new jersey Posters at zazzle

1911, Carnegie Library, Winston-Salem, North Carolina



[LIB11095]

Thursday, June 19, 2014

1969 Library, Potsdam, New York



[LIB11093] - In the 1970s, the Village board conducted a needs survey to accommodate and study the expanding, vital and "bursting" library and a master plan was developed. The decision was made to move the library to the Civic Auditorium. The auditorium historically housed the "gun house" where armaments were stored, and served as the Town Hall and Opera House. Renovations began June, 1975 and a ribbon cutting ceremony took place on December 20, 1976. [Website]

1914 Gale Memorial Library, Laconia, New Hampshire



[LIB11092] Addressed to Rhoda Hawkins, Portsmouth, NH. Photo-Repros by The Meriden Gravure Co., Meriden, Conn. No. 354A.

1911 Gale Memorial Library, Laconia, New Hampshire



[LIB11091] 100 year old postcard mailed to Mr. Earl Yeatow, Bear Island House, Bear Island, NH. Edith sent Earl a message reminding him about the .47 cents she borrowed...

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

1909 Public Library, Exeter, New Hampshire



[LIB11085] Just a line to let you know that I am alive...

In 1886, John T. Perry was instrumental in forming the Exeter Library Company to raise money for a library building and in May of 1892, the town meeting appropriated $15,000 towards the construction of a library building. The new library was finished in 1894 at 47 Front Street, the current home of the Exeter Historical Society. It was designed like a Carnegie library on a smaller scale with a central rotunda and reading rooms on either side. It was built as a memorial to the 300 Exeter area men who served in the Civil War.

Albright Public Library, Scranton, Pennsylvania



[LIB11084] Paul C. Koeber Co. PCK Series 2617

Public Library, Utica, New York



[LIB11083] An unused postcard, c1915.

1907 Public Library, Utica, New York




[LIB11082] 1842 Called the City Library and located on Franklin Square, the Library benefits from a New York State appropriation of $583.86 to purchase books. Its collection now totals 1,700 volumes.

Harmanus Bleecker Library, Albany, New York


[LIB11081] - The former Harmanus Bleecker Library is located at the intersection of Washington Avenue (New York State Route 5) and Dove Street in Albany, New York, United States. It is a brick and stone Classical Revival building constructed in the 1920s. In 1996 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[1]

Designed by notable local architect Albert Fuller, it was the first building in the city intended to be used exclusively as a library, and is considered one of city's best buildings in its architectural style. Along with the nearby University Club, built shortly afterwards, it was Fuller's last major work in the city where he had practiced most. It took its name from Harmanus Bleecker, a prominent Albany politician and benefactor whose estate provided the funds for its construction. It has since been adapted to serve as office space. [Wikipedia]

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Public Library, Chillicothe, Ohio


[LIB11075] Website

1914 Carnegie Library, Aurora, Illinois


[LIB11074] - On October 15, 1900, Dr. William A. Colledge, pastor of the People’s Church and president of the library board, penned a letter that would shape the Aurora Public Library for more than a century.

The letter was written to none other than Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate, who was using his vast fortune to build libraries throughout the English-speaking world. In that letter, Dr. Colledge told of how the existing building was not large enough for the city’s fast-growing population, and he asked the great philanthropist for a new library building for Aurora.

Months passed without a response, but in January, 1901, the reply came. Mr. Carnegie would give $50,000 if the city obtained a site for the building and if the library tax would be continued. [Website]


The new, 92,000-square-foot Main Library will be built on the corner of River and Benton streets on a parcel of land that was purchased by the library in 2009. The firm of Cordogan Clark & Associates was chosen as the architectural firm for the project in 2010. Joining that firm on the project are R.C. Wegman Construction Company as the construction management firm, Schoppe Design Associates as the landscape architect and KDI Design Interiors as the interior design firm.

The current Main Library opened in 1904 and was built with a $50,000 grant from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The building, located on Stolp Island, was expanded in 1969.

Once the new building is completed, it is the intent of the library board to sell the current library building. The City of Aurora has the first right of refusal to purchase the property.

1908 Carnegie Library, Freeport, Illinois


[LIB11073] - 1902: The Carnegie Library opened on Stephenson Street, often mentioned as being among the first Carnegie libraries in Illinois. [Website]

The library today: