Friday, December 12, 2014
[LIB11215] - By 1913 the building was not in use and the members had returned to the Presbyterian Church while still keeping their religious society active. The Trustees voted to refurbish the building and grounds for use as a library. In 1914 the Trustees approved the rental of the building for a dollar a year. The library was opened and staffed by volunteers and then granted a charter in 1917. A furnace and electricity were installed in 1920. In 1927 the Cutchogue Methodist Church burned and the Congregational Society closed the library to allow the Methodists to use the building for worship while they were building their new church. The library was reopened when the new Methodist church was completed. The library continued to operate in the Church building for a nominal rent with free standing shelving and no permanent furnishings so that it could be returned to a place of worship with little problem. [Source]
[LIB11214] - The St. Petersburg Public Library (also known as the Mirror Lake Library or Carnegie Library) is a Carnegie library built in 1915 in Beaux-Arts style. It was one of 10 Florida Carnegie libraries to receive grants awarded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York from 1901 to 1917. [Source]
[LIB11213] - In 1942 St. Matthew’s Church turned the library over to the City of Fairbanks and it served as the city library until 1968 when the Fairbanks North Star Borough assumed ownership of the library. The library continued to operate from the building until 1977 when the much larger Noel Wien Library opened. The Borough sold the building at that time. It has served a variety of commercial purposes since then.
In 1972, the site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1978 it became a National Historic Landmark. [Source]
[LIB11212] - The Hollis F. Price Library was named after Dr. Hollis Freeman Price (1941-1982) the first African American President of LeMoyne-Owen College. The award winning architecturally outstanding facility features a mosaic mural by Ben Shahn.
[LIB11210] - It started in the 18th century, with a few books on a librarian’s shelf; today, the Farmington Library and Barney Branch Library house over 165,000 items. It started as a place to read, exchange books, and talk; today, it is still that, but much more. It is where you go to borrow a book or tape or video; hear a speaker; research a term paper; find some information on the Internet; search for a new job; or watch your children discover the joy of reading. The library is at the heart of, and dedicated to, the community.