[LIB0749] Dedicated in 1965. Named in honor of GM McLendon, president for 27 years. Built with an eye to the future, this modern, carefully planned, fire-proof structure cost, including equipment, over $300,000. [from the back of the card] This $300,000 in 2010 dollars would be $1,367,297.
[LIB0076] - In 1906, Andrew Carnegie donated $10,000 for the town to construct a public library building in “the Falls” section of town. A Colonial Revival, red brick building was designed by resident William Skinner and the firm of Putnam & Cox. The building is located on a small point of land at a five-way intersection. [Website]
[LIB6694] - Currently used as law offices.
Formerly the main headquarters of the Jacksonville Public Library System, the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designed by New York architect Henry John Klutho in the Neo-Classic Revival style. On October 3, 1903, ground was broken for the Carnegie library on the northeast corner of Adams and Ocean. Two years later, on June 1, 1905, the library was formally opened with George B. Utley as librarian and with 8,685 books available. Known officially as the Jacksonville Free Public Library, it was the beginning of the Jacksonville Public Library. It was also the first tax-supported library in Florida. [Waymarking]