Friday, August 31, 2012

Library, Westbrook, Maine


The Walker Memorial Library began as one of the earliest Social Libraries in Maine. It was originally established in 1802 as the Falmouth Social Library at Saccarappa Village. In 1866, after many successful years the library became inactive. Interest was awakened in 1883 to reorganize the library. In 1891 Mr. Joseph Walker, of Portland, a former resident of Westbrook, died leaving a fund for a library building. He asked that the library be called The Memorial Library and that any residual funds from the library building be placed in trust for the purpose of purchasing library books. The maintainance of the library was to be financed by the city and directed by regents. The regents were appointed by the mayor. The new library was accepted by the city on May 26, 1894.

A new addition was proposed in 1984 and was budgeted through a $1.5 million bond in 1986. Ground breaking took place in February 1988 and the new addition was completed and opened to the public in February 1989. In 2007 another city bond for $1 million was proposed and accepted to repair the addition that had been plagued by a leaking roof and windows for many years. The library closed to the public September 21, 2007 for the much needed repairs and reopened to the public February 11, 2008. [From the Website of the Library]

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

1926 Carnegie Public Library, Calgary, Alberta, Canada


Located at:
1221-2nd Street S.W.

The library was built: 1910-1912. Construction materials include yellow Paskapoo sandstone quarried at Calgary's Oliver Quarry. Load bearing sandstone walls (smoothly finished) backed with brick. Copper roof. Douglas fir floors, mahogany and birch trim.

The architect was McLean and Wright of Boston, Massachusetts. Construction was done by Richard A. Brocklebank, a multi-term Calgary alderman. Key to the project were the stone-cutting craftsmen George Christie (head stonemason) and locally hired Scottish stonecutters.

The project may not have been possible without the Carnagie Grant. The project cost was $100,000 ($80,000 grant from American industrialist Andrew Carnegie and $20,000 from the City of Calgary).

Source: Waymarking

Thursday, August 23, 2012

1907 Carnegie Library, Salem, Ohio



Recognizing the need for a permanent home, the first librarian, Mrs. Helen Carey, contacted Andrew Carnegie in January 1903 to request a grant of $17,500 to build a library. Within three weeks Mrs. Carey had his commitment. The new library opened September 1, 1905 at its present site, on land donated by the board of education. In 1931, the Carey Memorial Reading Room was added to the library, and in 1984, a $1.2 million expansion and renovation project was completed.

1951 Public Library, Detroit, Michigan



1908 Public Library, North Adams, Massachusetts


1896: A.C. Houghton, first Mayor of North Adams, purchased the Blackinton mansion as a gift to the City, and a memorial to his deceased brother Andrew Jackson Houghton.

Carnegie Library, Sturgis, Michigan



History Room:
all genealogy/history requests
Sturgis District Library
255 North Street
Sturgis, MI 49091
Sturgis Public Library is a Public library. This library is affiliated with the library system that serves Sturgis, MI. The collection of the library contains 49624 volumes. The library circulates 100160 items per year. The library serves a population of 17969 residents .

History Room:
all genealogy/history requests
Sturgis District Library
255 North Street
Sturgis, MI 49091
(269) 659-7224

1911 Public Library, Rochester, New Hampshire



In the early 1900s, Rochester Postmaster Osman Warren contacted Andrew Carnegie to secure his help in providing financial help in building a new library. The Carnegie Institute responded with a check for $20,000. The brand new library was built on the site of what was the Main Street School. The library was built in the new Georgian revival style using brick and granite, and the inside was finished with golden oak and cypress. The library opened on October 2, 1905, and 150 people registered the first day. Miss Lillian Parshley was the first librarian, serving until her death in 1945. Velma Foss, Miss Parshley's assistant, was the second librarian of the Rochester Library. [Wikipedia]

1942 Public Library, Kansas City, Kansas



Andrew Carnegie offered $75,000.00 for a library building on July 4, 1901. A site at Sixth and Minnesota Streets, called Huron Place or Huron Park, had been given to the city by the old town site company and was intended for the site of a seminary; however, the site was given to the board of education to use as a library location. W. W. Rose was engaged as the architect and the contract was given to F. A. Thompson.

Public Library, Dunkirk, New York



The Dunkirk free library was built in 1904 with $25,000 of seed money from Andrew Carnegie.

1914 State Library, Concord, New Hampshire



Benjamin Kimball was a major force in the development of New Hampshire railroads and, indirectly, the development of the state. One of Concord's wealthiest citizens, Kimball was a founder or director in a number of key local businesses, including a foundry across the street which made castings and wheels for railroad cars. Among his more significant achievements was masterminding the construction of several important institutional buildings, including the New Hampshire Historical Society and the State Library.

Welwood Murray Library, Palm Springs, California



In July 2002, the City closed this branch and removed all the books. The very next day a newly incorporated non-profit foundation opened the site as a private library.

Public Library, Greenfield, Massachusetts


Library, Greenfield, Massachusetts Vintage Post Cards
Library, Greenfield, Massachusetts Vintage Post Cards by markomundo
You can sell cards , invitations, stamps and more on!

The GPL is currently housed in the Leavitt-Hovey House which was designed by Asher Benjamin, the writer of the first architectural pattern book published in America. Built in 1797 for Atty. Jonathan Leavitt, it was later owned by George Hovey, a local area merchant. In 1907 the Town of Greenfield purchased the building for the purpose of renovating it to become a public library. While the exterior was preserved, the wings needed to be rebuilt. The library opened on January 11, 1909 with close to a thousand people in attendance. (Kellogg, History of Greenfield 1900 - 1929).

Public Library, Eastern Parkway Branch, Brooklyn, New York



1908 Lincoln City Library, Lincoln, Nebraska



1907 Burrage Hall, Olivert College, Olivet, Michigan

1907 View:
Contemporary view:

Library of Congress, 1942

How much has changed over the years? How much more will change? A really cool video from the Internet Archive.