Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Indian River County Library, Vero Beach, Florida

[LIB10613] Website

Library, Springfield, Ohio

[LIB10605] Warder Public Library is a historically significant building in Springfield, Ohio, United States. A robust example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, it was a gift to the city from industrialist Benjamin H. Warder, and served as the main branch of the Clark County Public Library from 1890 to 1989. It now houses the Clark County (Warder) Literacy Center. [wikipedia]

Library, Perham, Minnesota


Architectural Rendering, Library, Belleville, New Jersey

[LIB10603] - Andrew Carnegie funded the construction of the Belleville Public Library & Information Center in 1911, one of 1,681 Carnegie Libraries across America. [website]

1908 Public Library, New Brunswick, New Jersey

[LIB10602] - In its historic building, the New Brunswick Free Public Library strives to give personalized, quality service to the community. The library traces its roots back to the 1796 Union Library Company. The present library, incorporated in 1890, has been serving the community for over a century from its Carnegie building (completed in 1903) on Livingston Avenue. [website]

Sunday, February 16, 2014

1907 James W. Bosler Library , Carlisle, Pennsylvania


Library, Littleton, New Hampshire

[Z10553] In 1902, Littleton received a $15,000 grant from the Carnegie Foundation, the equivalent of $367,021 for 2009. Funded by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, 2509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929; 1689 in the United States alone.

Designed by Robert Coit in the Classical Revival style, the Littleton Public Library opened in 1906; its interior was renovated in 1960 and the Children's Room was recently renovated with an endowment from the Corey family. [Website]

Library, Pelham, New Hampshire

[Z10552] In 1893, the library was set up in a corner of the Town Hall.  A library building was constructed in 1896 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the incorporation of the town and honor Pelham’s war veterans.  That one-storey brick structure was designed with a main “Memorial Room,” a book stack area, and Town Officers’ Room.  The square footage of the building was doubled in 1975 by renovating the unfinished cellar to create a Children’s Room, staff workroom and periodical storage.  The library had long-outgrown the 1896 building when the present 10,000 square-foot facility was completed in August 2003. [Website]

Goodrich Library, Newport, Vermont

[Z10551] The first library, established in the town of Newport, Vermont was originated by Dr. John M. Currier in the spring of 1862. In 2003, Goodrich Memorial Library received a substantial grant and the building has been restored to its original beauty and elegance. [Website]

Library, Easthampton, Massachusetts

[Z10550] Emily Williston, widow of the late Samuel Williston, responded with a major gift of $16,000 to construct a new library. The building was designed by Boston architects Peabody and Stearns. On February 23, 1881 the building was opened to the public. [Website]

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Carnegie Library, San Diego, California


Library, Centralia, Illinois

[Z10518] Website

Library, Lynn, Massachusetts


1940 Library, Beatrice, Nebraska

[Z10516] Website

The Beatrice City Library, built in 1902-3, is an outstanding example of the Beaux-Arts style, designed by architect George A. Berlinghof. The establishment of a permanent library was due to the efforts of the Beatrice Literary Club, founded in 1890, which continued the earlier efforts of the Women's Christian Temperance Union. In 1902 the library board obtained a $20,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. A grand opening was held on January 1, 1904, to celebrate the new building's completion.

1911 Carnegie Library, San Antonio, Texas

[Z10515] - Construction workers retrofitting the former San Antonio Public Library and Hertzberg Circus Museum into the National Western Art Foundation’s Dolph and Janie Briscoe Western Art Museum at 210 W. Market St. were recently able to access an abandoned and forgotten room on the third floor of the building.

When they did, they uncovered a cache of previously unknown and uncataloged library items, including an early-edition King James Bible, dated 1615, and a Civil War-era photo album. [Website]