Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Carnegie Library, Frankfort, Indiana

[LIB0146]

The Frankfort Community Public Library originated as a subscription library in 1884. Initially, the library began as a collection of books in a back room of some law offices at the court house. Then the collection was moved to the Council Chamber only to be moved once more to the High School building. The library stayed at the High School building for five years under the direction of superintendent of schools, Edwin S. Monroe. In 1905, Superintendent Monroe wrote a letter to Andrew Carnegie. Andrew Carnegie was a self-made man who made a fortune in the steel industry. He was known for his philanthropy and for his fervent advocacy of libraries. True to his reputation, he responded to Monroe with a donation of $24,000 towards the building of a new library. (Adjusted for inflation, $24,000 in 1905 is equivalent to $461,449.70 today.) Along with the support of Frankfort tax money, the library finally got its permanent home in 1906 at the corner of Clinton and Columbia Streets. [Thanks to the Frankfort Community Library]

Search Amazon.com for frankfort indiana

Friday, December 18, 2009

1976 Hamlin Memorial Library, Paris Hill, Paris, Maine

[LIB0059]

This thick-walled stone building built in 1828 as the Oxford County Jail is now used as a library. With the exception of the removal of the cells and changes in the roof, the building is in its original form. [From the back of the card]

The vacant jail building was purchased by Dr. Augustus C. Hamlin, nephew of Hon. Hannibal H. Hamlin (Vice President of the United States during Lincoln's first term). In the 1960's the domed roof was replaced by one closer to the original design. A new second floor and interior staircase was added, and shelving installed on the first floor. The building now houses a small public circulating library , a modest research facility, and a museum collection relating to local, state, and national history. [Thanks to the Hamlin Memorial Library & Museum]

1976 Library, Natick, MA

[LIB0058]

In perpetual memory of Mary Ann Morse, born June 16, 1825 - June 30, 1862. She gave her whole estate to establish this library for the use and benefit of all the inhabitants of her native town. [From the back of the card]

Monday, December 14, 2009

Libraries are Fun Bag

Librarians will enjoy this colorful design with the words Libraries are Fun!

Great for carrying groceries, books or just about anything else, this 100% cotton jumbo tote has a squared off bottom and extra long natural web handles. Dimensions: 20"w x14.5"h x4.5"d.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

1908 Public Library, Tipton, Indiana

[LIB2598]

In the fall of the year 1900 the first definite plans were made in the city of Tipton for the establishment of a free public library. The educational and pleasurable effects of such an institution were realized, and the strong need of the advantages perceived in the life of the city. At this time the schools were beginning to be improved to a great extent, and in connection with this the need was felt perhaps stronger than in any other way. It was at a meeting of the Literary and Suffrage Club that the plans were first made. The new library law went into effect the following year, and Tipton was ready at once to take advantage of it. The city was the first in the state of Indiana to organize under this new law. Early in the spring of 1901 the library association opened the library to the public in the court house. A book "shower" was held and more than five hundred volumes were donated, many of them being valuable. The library was supported by voluntary contributions. The officers were the same as they are in 1914. [History of Tipton County, available from Google Books]

1910 Public Library, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin

[LIB2597]

1940 Public Library, Elwood, Indiana

[LIB2596]

Construction on the new library began in 1903, the same year the natural gas supply was depleted and Elwood's gas boom ended. In July 1903, Mrs. Saylor was instructed to make an appeal to Mr. Carnegie for an extra $5,000 to complete the building and furnishings. In August, she reported Mr. Carnegie had agreed to the extra money provided that the city council would increase the annual tax levy to $3,000. The council approved, making the total cost of $30,000 for the city's fine, new library. [Thanks to the Elwood Public Library]

1906 Public Library, Melrose, Massachusetts

[LIB2595]

Reading Room, Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington DC

[LIB2594]

Now this is a reading room!

1911 Public Library, Rock Island, Illinois

[LIB2593]

The building now in use, at 401-19th Street, was completed and opened in 1903. It was first called “Rock Island’s Temple of Literature.” Much of its funding came from the donations of two contemporary Rock Island businessmen, Frederick Denkmann and Frederick Weyerhaeuser, his brother-in-law, who would later become giants in the American lumber business. [Thanks to the Rock Island Public Library]

Public Library, Waupun, Wisconsin

[LIB2592]

The Waupun Library Association survived until 1904 when the City of Waupun established the Waupun Public Library, making the Waupun Public Library one of only three public libraries in the state of Wisconsin that can trace a continuous line back to the city's library association (the other two libraries in this category are the Milwaukee and Madison public libraries). It was in that year that construction began on the Waupun Public Library building.


Library service continued in this building until 1968, when construction was completed and opening ceremonies conducted on the current library building. In 1998, an addition to the current building was completed to increase the amount of space for the growing collection. (The Carnegie building is now home to the Waupun Heritage Museum.) [Thanks to the Waupun Public Library!]

1919 Public Library, Nebraska City, NE

[LIB2591]

Due to conflicting reports it is difficult to discern just when and where the first literary association was formed in Nebraska City. The Young Men’s Literary Association was organized in November of 1867 and the following year consolidated with the Nebraska City Mercantile Library Association.

In 1869, fourteen pioneer women formed the Round Table Club. In the summer of 1881 the women took possession of the library of the Young Men’s Library Association. This woman’s group was incorporated in 1882 as the Ladies Library Association and they started to raise money for a library.

At this time J. W. Steinhart, a cashier of the Otoe County Bank had an opportunity to visit with Joy Morton son of J. Sterling Morton in his Chicago Office. Mr. Steinhart told Mr. Morton about the struggles the women in Nebraska City were having in getting a library started. Mr. Morton proposed to Mr. Steinhart, that if he could dispose of an old building located on Central Avenue across from the old hotel, he could use the money to start a library fund. Mr. Steinhart had no luck in selling the property. Mr. Morton responded by offering to build a suitable building for his hometown if they would furnish and grade a lot, and equip the building. The public responded to the challenge by raising $1450.00 to obtain the 1 1/2 lots that the building now stands on and $1500.00 for the equipment and fixtures. [Thanks to the Morton-James Public Library]

Friday, December 11, 2009

Thumb National Bank, Bay City, Michigan Waymark


Waymarking has many listings for libraries throughout the United States. This entry for Thumb National Bank relates the history of the building that began as a Carnegie Library. Thankfully, respect has been paid to the renovations and the character of the original building seems for the most part to have been preserved. Additional photos and reading can be found in the Waymark entry, here.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Another one biting the dust?

I have chronicled a number of Carnegie libraries that have been demolished. Another one scheduled for demolition is located in Orillia, Ontario, Canada. Read additional stories:
Orillia (Ont.) Public Library Finally on the Move
Library's future on agenda

Friday, November 20, 2009

Public Library, Holyoke, MA

[LIB2590]

The Holyoke Public Library History Room & Archive houses extensive collections that focus on Holyoke’s unique history as it has developed as a planned city. The collections are available and preserved for use in scholarly and genealogical research.

Public Library, Brooklyn, New York

[LIB2589]

1939 Public Library, Copley Square, Boston MA

[LIB2588]

Library, University of Rhode Island, Kingston RI

[LIB2587]

Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina , Columbia, South Carolina

[LIB2586]

"The old library on the quadrangle is the first separate college library in the U.S. Built around 1840 by an unknown architect, showing Mill's influence, the library is now virtually a museum of South Carolina books and manuscripts." [From the back of the card]

Fountain, Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington DC

[LIB2585]

"The fountain, with the figure of Puck by Brenda Putnam A Midsummer Nights Dreame, ACT III, Scene 2 "Lord, what fooles these mortals be!" [From the back of the card]

Photography by Horydczak.

1908 Carnegie Library, Greencastle, Indiana

[LIB2584]







Seymour Library, Brockport, NY

[LIB2583]

1908 Dennis Library, Newton, NJ

[LIB2570]

The offices and printing plant of the New Jersey Herald shared the first floor with the Post Office. The Newton Library Association occupied two rooms on the second floor, with a catalog of 2,500 volumes. Reverend Myron Barrett was the first librarian. A public hall in the third story accommodated 500 people. For a more comprehensive history of the library in Newton (NJ), read Lost Landmark: Library Hall by Kevin W. Wright.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Old Library, Yale University, New Haven CT

[LIB2569]

Special Collections, Yale University Divinity School Library: "Strengths of the library's special collections include documentation of the Protestant missionary endeavor, documentation of religious work among college and university students, records related to American clergy and evangelists, and unofficial records related to the life of the Divinity School. These holdings form part of the Day Missions Library, North America's preeminent collection documenting the missionary movement and world Christianity." [Thanks to Yale Special Collections, www.library.yale.edu/div/speccoll.html]

1911 Public Library, Hammond, Indiana

[LIB2568]

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Handley Public Library, Winchester, Virginia

[LIB0935]

Judge John Handley of Scranton, Pennsylvania left $250,000 in his will to “ . . . open a Public Library for the free use of the people of the city of Winchester forever.” The Handley Trustees hired architects J. Stewart Barney and Henry Otis Chapman of New York who designed the building in Beaux-Arts style. The Handley Library opened in 1913 at a cost of $233,230.28 for the building and furnishings. An addition was added to the building in 1979 and a complete renovation, designed by Dennis Kowal Architects, was completed in 2001. [Thanks to the Handley Regional Library, www.hrl.lib.state.va.us]

1st Class Library, The Empress of France

[LIB0934]

RMS Empress of France was an ocean liner built in 1928 by John Brown at Clydebank in the United Kingdom for the Canadian Pacific Steamships and launched as the SS Duchess of Bedford
in 1928. She was renamed Empress of France in 1947. [Thanks Wikipedia!]

McCartney Library, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA

[LIB0928]

The collegiate Gothic building features two stained-glass windows inspired by the preaching of Dr. Clarence Edward Macartney. [Thanks to the McCartney Library, Geneva College, /www.geneva.edu]

1955 Public Library, New York City

[LIB0927]

NYPL Factoid: The Manuscripts and Archives Division holds approximately 29,000 linear feet of archival material in over 3,000 collections, dating from the third millennium BCE to the current decade. The greatest strengths of the Manuscripts and Archives Division are the papers and records of individuals, families, and organizations, primarily from the New York region. These collections, dating from the 18th through the 20th centuries, support research in the political, economic, social, and cultural history of New York and the United States. Notable collections include the records of CARE, Macmillan Publishing Company, National Audubon Society, and the New York World's Fairs and papers of individuals as diverse as Thomas Jefferson, Lillian Wald, H.L. Mencken, and Truman Capote. [Thanks to the NYPL, www.nypl.org]

1952 Public Library, Richmond Virginia

[LIB0926]

First and Franklin Streets.

The Finance Committee of Richmond’s Common Council twice passed up Mr. Andrew Carnegie’s generous offers of financial assistance to establish a public library in Richmond. The first offer, of $100,000, in March 1901, made it as far as the selection of Trustees for the Library, a recommendation for a site for the proposed building and the sum of $22,000 to purchase it. After consideration, the Finance Committee rejected the recommendation. Mayor Carlton McCarthy tried again in 1906, at which time Mr. Carnegie was willing to double his original offer to $200,000. The matter again came to the Finance Committee, where it was “read and ordered to be received and filed.” No further action was taken. Individuals and community leaders in business, education and civic institutions had rallied to the Library, to no avail. They founded the Richmond Public Library Association in 1905 to advocate for a public library in Richmond. Gradually, they built more community support and began to win over public officials. On April 5, 1922, Mr. John Stewart Bryan became president of the Association, and stepped up the campaign for a public library. In June 1922, within 3 days, 10,000 Richmonders signed a petition supporting the establishment of a public library. The Richmond Public Library Association ultimately gathered a total of 50,000 signatures. This time, the wishes of Richmonders prevailed with the Common Council and the Board of Aldermen. [Thanks to the Richmond Public Library, www.richmondpubliclibrary.org]

1906 Carnegie Library, Schenley Park, Pittsburg PA

[LIB0925]

Friday, November 13, 2009

Public Library, Gouverneur, NY


[LIB0911]

The Gouverneur Union Library was incorporated in 1815, and through contributions of money and books from private collections at home and abroad, a valuable library was soon secured. The trustees were Rockwell Barnes, Israel Porter, Aaron Atwood, Richard Kimball, Benjamin Brown, Timothy Sheldon, Pardon Babcock, and Joseph Smith, all of whom served at one time or another. The library was eventually transferred to the High School and then to Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary, where it was burned with that institution on the 1st of January, 1839, after being a means of untold good. [Thanks to history.rays-place.com]

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Burnham Library, Bridgewater, CT

[LIB0896]

The Bridgewater Library Association was established in l904, but it wasn’t until l909, when a room for library purposes was established at the recently built town hall, that the first public library in Bridgewater was born. Mabelle Sanford, a member of a prominent Bridgewater family, was a driving force behind this effort. She sent out subscriptions to many people who were associated with the town. Among them was Captain William Dixon Burnham. [Thanks to the Burnham Library, burnhamlibrary.org]

Mack Library, Bob Jones University, Greenville SC

[LIB0895]

Library, Florida State University, Tallahassee FL

[LIB0894]

The Florida State College for Women is a large institution, its buildings and modern equipment forming the third largest women's college in the United States. [From the back of the card]

Library of Winchester College, 1816 UK

[LIB0893]

Winchester College is a famous boys' independent school, set in the city of Winchester in Hampshire, England.

1911 New Public Library, New Haven, CT


[LIB0892]

1911 view and a contemporary view [Contemporary image courtesy of Wikipedia]

Public Library, New Haven, CT

[LIB0891]

1906-1911
"Gentlemen:–If the City of New Haven will provide a suitable site for it, I desire to erect and present to the City a handsome, fireproof building for the Public Library." With these words, and a gift of $300,000, Mary E. Ives (Mrs. Hoadley Ives), became the founding mother of the present New Haven Free Public Library. The site, at the corner of Elm and Temple Streets where the Library stands today, was purchased by the city for $95,000. The architect, Cass Gilbert, designed the brick and marble building to harmonize with the traditional architecture of New Haven, and especially with the United Church nearby. The building was formally dedicated to the City of New Haven on May 27, 1911. [Thanks to the New Haven Public Library, www.cityofnewhaven.com/library]

Lincoln Library, Springfield, Illinois

[LIB0890]