The first circulating library of Anderson was owned and maintained by a few private citizens, and was founded in 1881. To promote the cause of the Y. M. C. A., it was afterwards donated to that institution. When the free public library was established by the city, the books of the old subscription library and of the Y. M. C. A. were used as a foundation, Mr. Marcus Kilbourne serving as the first librarian.
The present library, which is now known as the Public Library of Anderson, Indiana, is an outgrowth of these libraries, and was opened to the public in 1894 with about 1,000 volumes. The first borrower's card was issued November 3, of that year, bearing the number one; the serial numbers now run into fourteen thousand, which gives some idea of the growth in membership. [SOURCE] [LIB2684]