George Stevens, former town clerk, in the amount of $10,000.00 and a piece of land at the corner of Main and Water Street, with the stipulation that it be used as a site for a public library building. The money from George Stevens was turned over to the town treasurer in 1889, and the library was named Stevens Public Library by a vote.
In April 1890, the ground was broken and in December 1890, the building was dedicated. Books were moved from the selectman's office to the library's new location. The doors opened to the public on January 9, 1891. Read more about this historic library here.