Thursday, March 31, 2011

Public Library, Brockton, Massachusetts

[LIB1291]

The downtown library keeps the following newspapers on microfilm. Two microfilm reader/printers are available in the Reading Room. Newspapers may be requested at the circulation desk.

We can also send microfilm reels of these newspapers to other public libraries through the interlibrary loan process. Please contact your local library for more information.

The Enterprise (the Brockton Enterprise until 1982)
Jan. 1880-present.
The current 4 months of The Enterprise is available in paper format.

Brockton Gazette
May 1874-Dec. 1876, Jan. 1880-May 12, 1894.

Brockton Times
Feb. 1895-Mar. 24, 1934

North Bridgewater Gazette
May 1851-Nov. 1856, May 1857-Apr. 1874

Friday, March 25, 2011

Niagara Library, Niagara Falls, New York

[LIB1265]

By 1898, the collection consisted of 5,000 volumes supervised by Adele Barnum, the first paid librarian. Growing pains continued and, by 1901, Niagara Falls Power Company Director William B. Rankin came to the rescue by securing a $500,000 grant for a library building from Pittsburgh Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie. A site at the corner of Main Street and Ashland Avenue was chosen, and in 1904, the library moved into spacious new quarters with marble floors, brass fixtures and room for 13,134 volumes. WEBSITE [http://www.niagarafallspubliclib.org/History.htm]

This building was designed by E.E. Joralemon who also designed the Carnegie Library in North Tonawanda. This building features stained-glass skylights and once had a second level whose floor was made of glass blocks. Both are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

This building was renovated with Federal funds in 1995 but it has not been used as a library since the 1970s when a new library opened nearby. It's now used for City Offices. WAYMARKING [http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM80M5_1902_Carnegie_Library_Niagara_Falls_NY]

c1906 Carnegie Library, Washington Park, Yonkers, New York

[LIB1264]

The Carnegie library building served the Yonkers public for almost 80 years. Doomed by the decision to expand Nepperhan Avenue into an arterial, the building was closed and eventually demolished in May 1982, to the dismay of many.

Free Public Library, Newark, New Jersey

[LIB1263]

The Newark Public Library—a major force in the intellectual and cultural life of Newark since its founding in 1888—has launched an ambitious three-tier project to create a New Jersey Hispanic Research and Information Center (NJHRIC).

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Public Library, Dallas, Texas

[LIB1245]

In 1954, the badly deteriorating and overcrowded Carnegie facility was torn down and a contemporary six-story facility that held 433,000 books was built in its place. While construction was underway, the Library was housed at the City’s busy train depot, Union Station.

When the new building opened, it featured a listening library, special programming for young adults, and several research units staffed by subject-matter specialists. The building, located on the corner of Commerce and Harwood Streets, is still standing today.

Website [http://www.dallaslibrary2.org/]

1914 City Library, Springfield, Massachusetts

[LIB1244]

The Central Library maintains a collection of published works on Springfield-area history, including local publications such as the Springfield Planning Department's neighborhood studies. All titles are catalogued and searchable in the online catalog. For a more comprehensive local history collection, including archival material, and assistance with genealogical research, please contact the Local History and Genealogy Library at the Museum of Springfield History.

The Central Library maintains a near-complete collection of City Directories dating back to 1866, and a limited collection of Springfield college and public high school yearbooks dating from the early 1900s to the late 1980s. Please contact the Wellman Hall reference desk with inquiries about these resources (413-263-6828 ext 213). City directories and yearbooks are also available for reference use at the Museum of Springfield History.

Website [http://www.springfieldlibrary.org/default.html]

P.E.O. Memorial Library, Iowa Wesleyan College, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa

[LIB1243]

The Iowa Wesleyan College Archives contain Iowa Wesleyan catalogs; yearbooks; alumni bulletins; alumni directories; information on buildings, presidents, faculty, some alumni, recipients of honorary degrees, student activities and organizations, the Harlan-Lincoln tradition, P.E.O., photographic material. The Archives also include the C.S. Rogers Collection of Henry County newspapers; the Earl Newsom Collection of John Edward Newsom and Emma Day Newsom letters and papers (1876- 1930’s) related to Iowa Wesleyan, Methodism in Iowa and elsewhere, and pioneer missionary work in India; and a small collection of Mt. Pleasant and Henry County, Iowa, material. Website [http://chadwick.iwc.edu]

Public Library, Newark, New Jersey

[LIB1232]

The Fine Print Collection:

This extraordinary collection is made up of over 23,000 works in traditional as well as innovative media. There are strong holdings of prints by American artists, European graphics from "old masters" through the 20th century, Japanese prints and ehon (picture books) from 1780 to 2001, a basic history of photography, and many artists who worked in The Garden State. Prints by noted artists, such as John Sloan. Matisse, Picasso, Warhol, Lichtenstein, and Rauschenberg are included.

1944 Public Library, Everett, Massachusetts

[LIB1232] - Website

1936 Public Library, Ogdensburg, New York

[LIB1231]

The Frederic Remington Art Museum operates under the direction of the State chartered Remington Board of Trustees. This world-famous collection of Western Art has as it's nucleus the art and memorabilia of Frederic Remington, which was bequeathed to the Ogdensburg Public Library by Remington's widow and is now on loan to the Frederic Remington Art Museum for preservation, exhibition, interpretation and promotion. The Museum contains the world's largest single collection of the works of Frederic Remington.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Carnegie Library, Vallejo, California


[LIB1208] A massive 1960's era redevelopment project leveled 24 blocks of the City center including architectural treasures such as the Carnegie Library, demolished in 1969.

1936 Library, Springfield College, Springfield, Massachusetts


[LIB1207] - The Springfield College library collection originated in the late 1800s, when Jacob T. Bowne donated his personal library of books related to YMCA history to the young College. One of Bowne's students, John W. Cook began the campaign to create a true library for the College. Edward Lippincott Tilton, who designed the U.S. Immigrant Station on Ellis Island as well as the main branch of the Springfield City Library and Museums, designed Marsh Memorial Library which currently houses the offices of the College President. William Howard Taft dedicated Marsh Memorial Library on October 18, 1913. [Read more at the Library Website]

Catholic Cathedral, Library, Vincennes, Indiana


[LIB1206] The library contains some of the oldest books and relics in the country.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

National Baseball Library, Cooperstown, New York


[LIB1170] - The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum's A. Bartlett Giamatti Research Center contains more than three million documents relating to baseball history.

The collection includes books, team documents, newspaper clippings and an individual file on each of the 17,000-plus men who have played one Major League Baseball game, plus files on most Negro leagues and women's leagues players, and most major league owners, umpires, broadcasters, executives and baseball personalities.

The Library's collection also contains more than 500,000 photographs.

Public Library, Galesburg, Illinois


[LIB1169]

The Galesburg Public Library’s Archive, located near the adult services area, contains a research collection of rare books, original manuscripts, biographical information, local and Illinois county histories, city directories, school yearbooks, newspapers, journals, maps, county plat books, photographs, artwork and other materials reflecting the heritage and history of Galesburg and the surrounding area. The library's archive also houses the genealogy records and materials of the Knox County Genealogical Society which are available for use by the public. Genealogy material is located on open shelving near the microfilm readers; other material is kept in the locked and temperature-controlled Illinois Room.

Free Library, Bedford, New York


[LIB1168]

Founded over a century ago the Bedford Free Library had its beginnings when a small group of Bedford residents, under the leadership of Miss Eloise P. Luquer, rented a room in the 1807 Bedford Academy building and furnished it with a rug, chairs and bookcases. The Library’s small collection was assembled from the St. Matthews Parish Library, a small lending library housed in the Bedford Post Office and from books loaned by the State Circulating Library. The Bedford Free Library’s official opening was marked by a tea held in the new Library quarters on March 19, 1903. [From the website, read more here]

1909 Public Library, Edwardsville, Illinois


[LIB1167]

In 1903 Edwardsville resident Charles Boeschenstein, the publisher of the Intelligencer and a former mayor, wrote Andrew Carnegie to request funds to erect a library building. Through Boeschenstein's efforts, Edwardsville received $12,500 for the construction of a permanent home for the public library. The city of Edwardsville complimented Carnegie's offer by donating a parcel of land in the city park for the library to occupy.
Work began in 1904, and the building was dedicated on June 28, 1906. At that time a library membership cost 10 cents per month, which allowed access to a collection of roughly 500 books. To support the continued operation of the library, patrons hosted several community events and fund-raisers, such as concerts and card games. [From the website]

Search Amazon.com for Edwardsville, Illinois

1941 Public Library, Muncie, Indiana


[LIB1166]

Carnegie Library
301 E Jackson St
Muncie IN 47305


Public Library, Mendota, Illinois


[LIB1165]

Search Amazon.com for mendota illinois

Public Library, Asbury Park, New Jersey


[LIB1164]

The history of the Asbury Park Public Library begins in 1878 with the formation of a literary club, presided over by Helen M. Bradley, wife of the city's founder, James Adam Bradley.

The literary club was reorganized shortly after its beginning into the Asbury Park and Ocean Grove Library Association.

James Bradley donated two building lots at the southwest corner of First and Grand Avenues to the Library Association for the construction of a library, and he himself worked with an unnamed New York City architect in 1881 to design the new building which was to house an auditorium and museum in addition to a library. [From the website]

1912 Public Library, New London, Connecticut


[LIB1163]

The Public Library of New London Local History and Genealogy Section provides a collection of books, photographs, microforms, serials and pamphlet file materials with an emphasis on New London County history and families, focusing especially on New London.

• Family genealogies
• New London County Town Histories
• New London City Directories (beginning in 1853)
• New London Vital Records (1646—1854)
• New London Historic District Studies
• American Genealogical Biographical Index
• The Day: microfilm (July 1881—present)
• Sanborn Fire Ins. Map of New London (1912)
• New England Historical & Genealogical Register
• Heraldry
• Barbour Collection (selected towns)
• Black Roots in Southeastern Connecticut
• The Clipper (NLHS) 1952—1985
• Legenda (WMI) 1939—1951
• The Torch (Chapman Tech) 1947—1951
• The Whaler (Bulkeley School) 1923; 1928—1951

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Public Library, South Bend, Indiana


The South Bend Board of Education in 1894, purchased a lot at the corner of Main and Wayne St. in downtown South Bend. The cornerstone was laid in the spring of 1895 and on May 8, 1896, the Library opened to the public. By the late 1920's, it was evident that because of its growth, a larger facility would be needed to house the main library. Tippecanoe Place was one of the buildings which seemed to surface when a new library building was discussed. Because of it's Victorian features, this building become known as "The Castle" [read more of the History of this Library here

[LIB1106] Click here to order a reproduction of this postcard!

Library Shelves Iphone 4 Skin

Show off your signature style with a sleek and customizable Speck Products® brand case for your iPhone 4! Combining luxury with ultimate protection, this fitted hard plastic case is covered with an easy-to-grip fabric that is richly printed with your favorite design. Pleasing to the touch, this lightweight and durable custom case allows optimal access to all sensors, ports, and controls on your iPhone 4, while offering superior comfort in-hand. Compatible with both the Verizon and AT&T models of the iPhone 4, our universal custom iPhone 4 cases offer the perfect fit for your phone no matter your carrier.

This iPhone case takes you on a walk down a long aisle of books in the stacks of a huge library. The bright lighting reveals book spines in a kaleidoscope of colors: red, green, blue, black, white, gold, brown, purple. The symmetrical angle creates a geometric design that seems to lead to infinity. The reflections on the freshly waxed floor contribute to the overall pattern.

Library Shelves speckcase
Library Shelves by Bebops
Become a ipad affiliate for Zazzle.

1945 Lee Wallace Library, Crawfordsville, Indiana


In March 1901, the city learned that Carnegie was willing to donate $25,000 for a free public library. The city was required to furnish a site and to support the library to the extent of $2,500 annually. The Carnegie Library/Crawfordsville Public Library was thus constructed on the corner of Washington Street and Wabash Avenue (its present location); the building was made with smooth-cut ashlar stone, and its entrance was accented by unfluted ionic columns (a style common among Carnegie libraries at that time). The library was dedicated on July 29, 1902. [read more of the Crawfordsville Library history here]

[LIB1105] Click here to order a reproduction of this postcard!

1914 Public Library, Brazil, Indiana


The beautiful building of Indiana limestone was formally dedicated on October 18, 1904. It is said to be the only library in the united states marked with the carved letters stating that it was donated by Andrew Carnegie. [read more Brazil Library history here]

[LIB1104] Click here to order a reproduction of this postcard!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

1910 Public Library, Indianapolis, Indiana





[LIB1087] Sorry, this item is not available as a reproduction.

1906 Public Library, Asbury Park, New Jersey


The history of the Asbury Park Public Library begins in 1878 with the formation of a literary club, presided over by Helen M. Bradley, wife of the city's founder, James Adam Bradley.

The literary club was reorganized shortly after its beginning into the Asbury Park and Ocean Grove Library Association.

James Bradley donated two building lots at the southwest corner of First and Grand Avenues to the Library Association for the construction of a library, and he himself worked with an unnamed New York City architect in 1881 to design the new building which was to house an auditorium and museum in addition to a library.

The building was built in the Queen Anne Style and the most characteristic stylistic element was a high tower at the northeast corner of the structure. The integrity and expression of the building's style was greatly compromised and diminished by the removal, in 1930, of the tower and an associated chimney and gable. [From the website]

[LIB1086] Sorry, this item is not available as a reproduction.




Wednesday, March 2, 2011

1916 Public Library, Three Rivers, Michigan

[LIB1032]

1905 Memorial Library, Mansfield, Ohio

[LIB1031]

In 1902, head librarian Martha Mercer went to New York to solicit funds for a new library building from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. She returned to Mansfield with a grant for $35,000, on the condition that the city provide the building site and annual operating funds of $3,500 (10% of the grant). The city agreed to the conditions and the building was designed and built on the site of the Grace Episcopal Church on Third Street. The building, designed by Mansfield architect Vernon Redding, was dedicated December 19, 1908. [from the website]



1920 Reuben McMillan Library, Youngstown, Ohio

[LIB1030]

The Library is an institution of historic importance in Youngstown and Mahoning County, with origins as far back as the 1840s, initially through the schools. On Oct. 27, 1880, the Youngstown Library Association became official with the signing of Articles of Incorporation by a group which included Library namesake Reuben McMillan, then Superintendent of Schools. In his memory, the association’s name was changed to the Reuben McMillan Free Library Association on March 5, 1898, and has remained as such. Among the early signers were two Youngstown schoolteachers, two Physicians, and Reuben McMillan. Mr. McMillan devoted his life to the intellectual development of the city's youth. Reuben McMillan also served as president of the Library's Board of Trustees. [from the website]

[LIB1030] Click here to order a reproduction of this postcard!




1907 Rosenberg Library, Galveston, Texas

[LIB1029]

Rosenberg Library has offered over a century of community service to the Galveston area. The building itself was dedicated on June 22, 1904, the birthday of its patron, Henry Rosenberg. The Moody Memorial Wing opened in 1971, more than doubling the floor space and allowing for a children's library, a history center, several galleries to showcase museum collections, and later, a computer lab.

[LIB1029] Click here to order a reproduction of this postcard!


Library, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon

[LIB1028]

Public Library, Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York

[LIB1027]

Located two blocks from Port Richmond Avenue along Bennett Street and opposite Veterans Park, the Port Richmond Branch opened its doors in 1905 as one of the branches built with funds from Andrew Carnegie.

1972 Smith Library, Chautauqua, New York

[LIB1025]

Smith Memorial Library anchors the southern end of Bestor Plaza inside the grounds of Chautauqua Institution.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Library, Pine Bluff, Arkansas

[LIB1024]

1914 Public Library, Peru, Indiana

[LIB1023]

The Peru Public Library is a Carnegie Library located on East Main Street in Peru, Indiana. In the year 1897, under the direction of the school board and a number of others, —lovers of books whose names may be forgotten, but whose work will go on forever—a library was organized in the city of Peru. After the common struggle attendant upon most beginnings, a few books and a small room for their keeping were secured. The Carnegie gift of $25,000 has made possible a good substantial two story building, the abiding place of books, pictures and furniture belonging to the city Library. [Municipal and institutional libraries of Indiana: History, condition and management -- Free Google eBook]

Johnson Public Library, Hackensack, New Jersey

[LIB1022]

Johnson Public Library opened on October 5, 1901. The library was a gift from Mr. William M. Johnson, a state senator who donated land and funded the library's construction. The library has served the Hackensack community for over one hundred years. Website

1906 Library, University of Nebraska, Lincoln

[LIB1021]

From Sophia Grau, 1901 Lincoln Ave., Omaha, Nebraska - Published by E.C. Kropp, Milwaukee, no. 1946 -- This card was mailed to Mr. Ernest Atkins, Fishkill-on-Hudson, New York.

Field Memorial Library, Conway, Massachusetts

[LIB1020]

Donated to the town by Marshall Field and named for his family. [Wikipedia] Marshall Field, (born Aug. 18, 1834, near Conway, Mass., U.S.—died Jan. 16, 1906, New York City), American department-store owner whose pioneering activities in retail merchandising were continued and extended into publishing by successive generations of his family.