[LIB6858]- The roots of the Dixon Public Library reach back to 1872 when the firemen of Dixon Hose Company began a small subscription library. It became a city library in 1895--96. In 1899 O. B. Dodge, the first president of the library board, offered to build a new building, which was formally opened to the citizens of Dixon in early 1901.
The facility was remodeled in 1955 when the apartment occupied by the library custodian was converted for use as a children's department. A new addition which changed the library to its present layout was opened in 1969, and the elevator was added in 1986. The building was refurbished in 1994. [Source]