Saturday, October 4, 2014
1911, Stewart Library, Corinna, Maine
The Stewart Free Library (1898), a gift to the town by Corinna-born Minneapolis millionaire Levi M. Stewart, was designed by Minneapolis architect William Harrison Grimshaw. The library is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and contains well-preserved historic interiors as well as a majestic facade with clocktower. It resembles a mid-western county courthouse more than a typical small-town Maine library. The Corinna Union Academy educated students in the town from 1851 to 1968. [Wikipedia] Read more at the library website.