Waymarking: Like many towns, Carey had a history of small lending libraries run by different groups, with collections housed in various buildings and rooms in town. Mayor Greeley Chambers contacted Andrew Carnegie to request a grant to build a permanent library structure. In 1904, the small town received a small grant of $8000 for this purpose. An additional $5000 was received from local citizen Edwin Brown. Brown’s wife’s mother, Dorcas Carey, was the wife of John Carey, who founded the village. The library took her name in memoriam. The yellow brick building was designed by H. O. Wurmser, who had also designed school buildings and the First Methodist Church in Lorain, Ohio. Dorcas Carey Public Library opened 19 October 1906 with a relatively large collection of just over 5000 books. The building would be expanded several times over the next century. A large addition in 1979 had a second story added in 1987. Ten years later, another expansion project was completed. Today, the library lends books and audio-visual materials, but also has reproduction oil paintings available for 8 week loans. Local newspapers dating to 1873 are available on microfilm, a slide projector is available for rent, and internet access is offered. Programs include adult literacy tutoring, children’s story time, and family movie nights.
Armentrout, Mary Ellen: Carnegie Libraries of Ohio