Saturday, May 7, 2011
1909 Carnegie Library, Huntington, West Virginia
Plans to establish a library in the city of Huntington were begun in late 1897 and a resolution by the Ministers Association was adopted in 1898 to open a public library. In 1899, books were collected for the establishment of a library and in late 1901, a room was leased for the library in the Florentine Annex.
On March 1, 1902, the library was opened to the public. That same year, Andrew Carnegie donated $25,000 for a new building. On July 27, 1904, the new library was opened on the corner of Ninth Street and Fifth Avenue. [Read more of the history of this beautiful library at their website!]