In 1911, the library qualified for a $10,000 grant from the Carnegie corporation and in May of 1913, the cornerstone of the new library was laid. In November of that same year, the new Detroit Lakes Library opened.
In 1974, Detroit Lakes Library entered Lake Agassiz Regional Library. In 1979, planning began to restore the Andrew Carnegie portion of the library and add-on to the library with an addition.
The library with new addition has been in operation since 1989. [From the website]