[LIB7827] - The Carnegie Free Library, designed in neo-classical architecture, first opened to the public on November 29, 1906. Early names on the Board include W. R. Thomas, J. B. Hanten, D. T. Walker, George Case, J. J. Clutton, H. L. Sheldon, Mrs. Sheafe, Mrs. W. D. Morris and Mrs. S. H. Addison. The mezzanine was added in 1941 for additional space. The Children's Department located in the basement was added in 1949. A weekly Story Hour was held on Saturday mornings.
In 1948, the board discussed the possibility of starting a new fund for a new building. In 1967, the library moved to a larger location. The Carnegie Library served the citizens of Watertown for over sixty years. The Carnegie building subsequently was used by the Watertown Youth Group (1970) for a recreation center and in 1974, the Codington County Historical Society was given the use of the building for $1 a year. [Website]