Undated post card, c1910.
Built between 1903-14 to plans by Ernst von Ihnen in the Neo-baroque style, this library was originally known as the
... More >Royal Library, but renamed Prussian State Library after the end of the First World War, a name it kept until 1945 when the East Germans changed it to German State Library. In 1939 the library boasted some 3,820,000 volumes. During the Second World War they were evacuated to more than 30 places throughout Germany. Today the collection has grown to more than six million books and 600,000 manuscripts, maps and incunabula. [Thanks to www.planetware.com]