The Newark Public Library was chartered in 1897 with the help of Reverend Charles W. Tomlinson. However, it was Henry C. Rew who presented his family's homestead site at the corner of Mason and High Streets for the library's location.
The cornerstone of the building was laid in October of 1900.The northeast wing was added in 1937, while the northwest wing was added in 1954 for additional library space and to house the Hoffman Clock Museum. The children's room in the lower level was constructed in 1963. [Thanks to the Newark Public Library, newarklibrary.blogspot.com]