The Cheney Library was a gift to the people of Hoosick Falls from Charles Cheney who, in 1912, left $50,000 in his estate for the construction and support of a library and historical rooms. Mr. Cheney was a long-standing student of history with a keen interest in libraries. In his will Mr. Cheney also left the people of Hoosick Falls many books and pictures for the library.
In 1907, Mr. Cheney petitioned the NY State Education Department for a Charter for a library for Hoosick Falls. The Hoosick Falls Free Public Library was opened in February of that year in the municipal building on Main Street. After Mr. Cheney's death in 1912, the funds he left for the library were invested until they had increased enough for a suitable building. On October 22, 1922 the cornerstone of the Cheney Free Public Library building was laid. The library opened on November 23, 1923 with 4,000 books in its collection and 400 patrons. [Thanks to the Cheney Free Public Library, /www.cheneylibrary.org