The Patterson Library was a gift given to the residents of Westfield by Hannah Whiting Patterson as a memorial to her late parents, George Washington Patterson and Hannah Dickey Patterson. G.W. Patterson came to Westfield in 1841 to serve as the land agent for the Chautauqua Land Company.
The Patterson Library at 40 South Portage Street opened its doors to the public on July 1, 1897, with 6,320 titles, 5,000 of which were those recommended by the American Library Association Model Library displayed at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893. A sampling of the original collection is now a part of the library's archives. [Website]