Saturday, January 28, 2012
Carnegie Library, Jacksonville, Illinois
[LIB6171] - After being contacted in 1901 by Jacksonville lawyer Lawrence O. Vaught, Andrew Carnegie pledged $40,000 for the erection of a public library building in Jacksonville. The Jacksonville Public Library officially opened in its permanent home, the Carnegie building at 201 W. College Avenue, on February 23, 1903. [From the website]
Though the original has been renovated, it is still in use as a library.