[LIB6647] - Mrs. Emma P. Benton was visiting her husband's family in Canton in 1907 and was sympathetic with the Association's desire for a library building. She offered $21,000 for a library building and $13,000 to endow it for maintenance and insurance. The building was to be known as the Benton Building to honor her husband. The Village of Canton provided the land. After the building was completed, title was transferred from Mrs. Benton's name to nine trustees of the Benton Library "to create, continue and maintain upon the premises a public library to be conducted for the benefit of the residents of the Village of Canton…" [Read more at the library website]
The original building, with an addition, as still used as a library.