1960 Zug Memorial Library, Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
[LIB6641] - One of the concerns to be addressed for accreditation was a stipulation the College needed to build a library commensurate with its educational goals and aspirations. A fund- raising effort was initiated, and on April 9, 1949, ground breaking began on the new library. At a cost of $160,000, the Zug Memorial Library was dedicated on October 20, 1950; named in honor of Samuel R. Zug, one of the founders of Elizabethtown College. The new facility had capacity for 50,000 volumes, even though in 1950 there were only 16,500 volumes in the collection. The building is no longer in use. It has been replaced by the High Library, built in the 1980s.