1221-2nd Street S.W.
The library was built:
1910-1912. Construction materials include yellow Paskapoo sandstone
quarried at Calgary's Oliver Quarry. Load bearing sandstone walls
(smoothly finished) backed with brick. Copper roof. Douglas fir floors,
mahogany and birch trim.
The architect was McLean and Wright of
Boston, Massachusetts. Construction was done by Richard A. Brocklebank,
a multi-term Calgary alderman. Key to the project were the
stone-cutting craftsmen George Christie (head stonemason) and locally
hired Scottish stonecutters.
The project may not have been
possible without the Carnagie Grant. The project cost was $100,000
($80,000 grant from American industrialist Andrew Carnegie and $20,000
from the City of Calgary).