Andrew Carnegie offered $75,000.00 for a library building on July 4,
1901. A site at Sixth and Minnesota Streets, called Huron Place or
Huron Park, had been given to the city by the old town site company and
was intended for the site of a seminary; however, the site was given to
the board of education to use as a library location. W. W. Rose was
engaged as the architect and the contract was given to F. A. Thompson.