Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Free Library of Philadelphia, McPherson Square Branch, PA

McPherson Square Branch now resides in a domed, classically designed Carnegie building centered a small neighborhood park known as McPherson Square. Over a century ago, however, the library first opened on July 5, 1898 in an old house known as the Webster Mansion. The mansion had been the home of three generations of the prominent Webster family from 1805 until 1891, when the home and grounds were sold to the City of Philadelphia for recreational purposes. The mansion was torn down in 1915 and the current library building opened on May 25, 1917. [Source: Branch History]


No comments: