Early 20th Century view of the library.
The Woburn Public Library has been serving the people of Woburn since 1856. Originally the Library was located in a room in the old Town Hall and later moved to larger accommodations in Wade's Block. In 1879, the current building was donated to the town by the Winn family. The donor, Charles B. Winn, did not want his name on the building. However, he did want to recognize his father whose fortune actually paid for the Library. Thus, the plaque on the portico which reads “This building was erected in memory of Jonathan Bowers Winn from funds bequeathed by his son for the use, benefit, and improvement of the people of Woburn”. [Source: Woburn Public Library]