This post card was posted on 30 October 1909.
The Cret Building, located on St. Clair Street and extending from Meridian to Pennsylvania Streets, was built on land donated by James Whitcomb Riley. The construction was completed in October, 1917.
Designed by Paul Cret and built in the Greek Doric style, it was considered architecturally to be one of the most outstanding library structures in the United States. The exterior is fittingly of Indiana limestone built on a base of Vermont marble, with carved stone cornices adding to its beauty. A broad expanse of steps leads up to the entrance, which is framed with impressive Greek columns. [SOURCE]