"The Clements Library was a gift to the University from Regents Clements. It houses the finest collection of books and manuscripts on American History in the World."
Located on the central campus of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, the William L. Clements Library houses original resources for the study of American history and culture from the fifteenth to the early twentieth century. Its mission is to collect and preserve primary source materials, to make them available for research, and to create an environment that supports and encourages scholarly investigation of our nation's past. [SOURCE]
In 1922, noted Detroit architect Albert Kahn (1869-1942) designed the Clements Library in the Italian Renaissance style, based on Vignola's casino for the Villa Farnese, ca.1587, in Caprarola, Italy. [SOURCE]