Saturday, February 28, 2009

Carnegie Library, Salem, Ohio

Recognizing the need for a permanent home, the first librarian, Mrs. Helen Carey, contacted Andrew Carnegie in January 1903 to request a grant of $17,500 to build a library. Within three weeks Mrs. Carey had his commitment. The new library opened September 1, 1905 at its present site, on land donated by the board of education. In 1931, the Carey Memorial Reading Room was added to the library, and in 1984, a $1.2 million expansion and renovation project was completed. [Read more about the history of this library, click here.]

History of Salem and the immediate vicinity, Columbiana County, Ohio


No comments: