Saturday, February 28, 2009

Public Library, Brantford, Canada

After the Ontario government passed legislation to permit municipalities to establish free libraries, the Mechanics Institute was dissolved and re-established as the Brantford Free Library on March 4, 1884. James Horning was chosen as the first permanent librarian (he held this post until his death in 1901). The first library board was: Rev. Dr. William Cochrane (Chairman), James B. Woodyatt, Wm. Watt Sr., Rev. Dr. Mackenzie, Dr. Kelly, Rev. Maxwell, Rev. Father Lennon, D. Hawkins, and Col. S. C. Jones. [Read more of the history of this library, click here]


No comments: