Mrs. B. S. Ricks was a woman with many philanthropic interests. From providing scholarships to funding the summer school programs at the University of Mississippi, Mrs. Ricks left a legacy of her generosity. Her most impressive gift was left to the citizens of Yazoo County in the form of a public library.
In 1900 Mrs. Ricks funded the construction of the B. S. Ricks Memorial Library. The $20,000 structure, named in memory of her late husband, is a work of art that is "Classic in design, chaste in ornamentation, graceful in outline, simple in adaptation."
Opened to the public in 1901 and formally dedicated January 1, 1902, the Ricks Memorial Library continues to serve Yazoo County and Yazoo City as a public library. [SOURCE]