Saturday, December 10, 2011
1911 Public Library, Petoskey, Michigan
[LIB6117] - The existing Carnegie Library building is one of the most significant historic buildings in Petoskey, architecturally as the most outstanding example of the neo-classical revival style, and historically as one of an ever-decreasing number of remaining Carnegie libraries in the country. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places by its inclusion in the Downtown Petoskey Historic District. It is the oldest municipal building in Emmet County in continuous original use.
The building was designed by the Grand Rapids firm of Williamson & Crow, Architects. It was constructed in 1908 and dedicated in 1909. Only the best stone and brick were to be used on the exterior, with black ash woodwork used extensively inside. A fireplace, pictures, plants and suitable furniture were all added to enhance its beauty and cultural atmosphere. In the basement a large handsomely equipped assembly room which sat 125 people was created for meetings of an “educational and patriotic nature.” [Website]