Saturday, December 10, 2011

1944 Public Library, Winchester, Massachusetts

[LIB6104] - The Winchester Public Library was founded in 1858, and the present building was constructed in 1931, at a cost of $137,000. Designed by architects Kilham, Hopkins & Greeley, the Library's English Norman exterior is of rough-faced Massachusetts granite with joints of dark mortar and trim of cut limestone. The building's innovative design, combining both an art gallery and library, was featured in the June, 1932, issue of The Architectural Forum.

An addition to the building, designed by Kilham, Hopkins, Greeley and Brodie, was completed in 1966. It provided for a larger reading and reference room, an enlarged children's room, a workroom, and increased storage capacity. [Website]

No comments: