[LIB6431] 1902 Construction begins on the downtown library at the northeast corner of Seventh and Orange Streets. The Mission Revival building is the work of the architectural firm of Burham and Blieser of Los Angeles; the general contractor is J. W. Carroll of Riverside.
31 July 1903 The Carnegie Library opens to the public. It has a capacity of 20,000 volumes.
The Carnegie Library and the Allatt and Humphrey Houses are demolished; the new downtown library is occupied and opened to the public.[From the website]