[LIB6436] - The Classical Revival Livermore Carnegie building is an example of the library as "temple in the park." It is located in the center of Carnegie Park, between Third and Fourth, J and K streets. William Weeks incorporated numerous classical elements in his design of the library with its pedimented central portico supported by Greek Ionic columns. The building is on a raised site reached by steps rising in two tiers. A fountain and a pair of iron light standards mark the entrance. As part of its 1977 centennial, Livermore undertook exterior restoration of the building and it was designated a local landmark by the City Council in 1987.
The Livermore library traces its history to the Livermore Public Library Association of 1878 and later the men's Social Club and the Ladies' League of Progress. It became a public library in 1901. Carnegie funds were requested in 1908 and $10,000 was granted in 1909. Community performances, shows, and a ball raised funds to develop the park site. The building's distinctive yellow brick came from the nearby Carnegie Brick Works, apparently named earlier in admiration for the industrialist. Hoyt Bros. of Santa Rosa built the library. Public outcry succeeded in saving the building after the new library was built and it now houses the Heritage Guild History Center, a genealogical library, and the Livermore Art Association. [From the website]