[LIB6613] - The history of the Live Oak Public Libraries can be traced back to the turn of the century in Savannah. Established in 1903, the Savannah Public Library consisted of a 23,000 volume collection housed in one room of the Georgia Historical Society. Ten years later the Carnegie Library opened on East Henry Street to serve Savannah’s black community.
Surrounded by late-Victorian homes and adjacent to a small city park modeled on the squares in historic downtown Savannah the main library building on Bull Street opened for use in 1916. The library was built at a cost of $104,041.78 with a Carnegie grant. Its neoclassical design was provided by architect H. W. Witcover, who also designed Savannah’s City Hall. In 1936, WPA programs provided for the addition of a small wing filled with book stacks and a mural depicting a scene from the Robin Hood story in the children’s room. [From the website]