Saturday, December 12, 2009

1911 Public Library, Rock Island, Illinois


The building now in use, at 401-19th Street, was completed and opened in 1903. It was first called “Rock Island’s Temple of Literature.” Much of its funding came from the donations of two contemporary Rock Island businessmen, Frederick Denkmann and Frederick Weyerhaeuser, his brother-in-law, who would later become giants in the American lumber business. [Thanks to the Rock Island Public Library]

No comments: