Saturday, December 12, 2009

1940 Public Library, Elwood, Indiana


Construction on the new library began in 1903, the same year the natural gas supply was depleted and Elwood's gas boom ended. In July 1903, Mrs. Saylor was instructed to make an appeal to Mr. Carnegie for an extra $5,000 to complete the building and furnishings. In August, she reported Mr. Carnegie had agreed to the extra money provided that the city council would increase the annual tax levy to $3,000. The council approved, making the total cost of $30,000 for the city's fine, new library. [Thanks to the Elwood Public Library]

No comments: